Natural mosquito repellent
Recipe for natural mosquito repellent.
- 2-3 dl coconut oil (olive oil can also be used)
- 10-15 lavender flowers
- 5-6 mint leaves
- 2-3 sage leaves (do not add if you are pregnant)
- 5 lemongrass stems
- Boil water in a pot
- Put all the ingredients together in a glass container that can take the heat of the boiling water
- Place the container in the boiling water and let boil for 1 hour, stir every now and then
- Pour the oil into a strainer, and then through a thin cloth, squeeze all the oil out of the herbs
- Keep the oil in a glass container
Tips: It is preferable to store the oil in the freezer, but it is not so functional when you need to use it. I recommend to split the oil into two smaller containers, that is not so deep, so you easily can access the oil with your fingers. Store one in the fridge and save one for later in the freezer.
How to use it: The oil should not be applied all over your body, and not in large amounts. I have started using the oil on my feet, under my knees, and on my shoulders, where I know the mosquitos usually bite. I apply the oil on a small area, so it will not smell too strongly.
Other herbs that can be used: